Monday 1 March 2010

Granola bars (from Ottolenghi book)

Oh these are good, you make them in a similar way to the granola, you mix all the dry ingredients together and then add the melted butter, sugar etc to bind together. I changed some of the ingredients ; for example I didn't have dried cherries so I put in californian raisins, I think I might try dates next time, also I didn't have enough sesame seeds so I put some poppy seeds in.
I also used a mix of honey and maple syrup, same reason. You need to bake it in the same way as flapjack, low heat 150C in the middle of the oven for about 20 mins and gently mark it into bars when hot and then WAIT until it is cold and separate into bars.

45g Pecan nuts
45g dried apricots roughly chopped
45g dried cherries
45g pumpkin seeds
30g sesame seeds
30g ground almonds
190g rolled oats
one and a quarter teaspoons Cinnamon
pinch of salt
95g unsalted butter
85g honey
95g demerara sugar ( I used soft brown)

Line /grease baking tray with parchment so it doesn't stick
oven 150C and roast pecan nuts for 8 mins. Soften and rehydrate apricots and cherries by soaking in hot water for a few mins. Chop apricots.
Mix all ingredients except for butter honey and sugar into a big bowl ( I broke up the nuts a bit)
Put honey , sugar and butter into a small pan and cook , simmer until golden brown, don't burn it. Mix this together with dry ingredients and press into the baking tin.
Just like flapjack really.
Bake until coloured on top, experience will guide you here because all cookers seem to be different.

1 comment:

Liz P said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I have been on the hunt for it. I am relatively new to the blogging world, but it was a pleasure to stumble across yours!
http://tastypi.blogspot.co.uk/